Thursday, January 7, 2010

Assignment 2

Assignment #2:
After reading this book review, what do you think your experience reading this book is going to be like? Do you tend to look at book reviews before you purchase a book? Do you use book reviews to influence your book purchases? Are you more apt to listen to a friend who recommends a book to you? Your response should be at least 250 words. Everyone, please respond to at least 4 of your classmates' responses. Go for other people than the ones you responded to for Assignment #1

This book seems to memorize all its readers. I'm already moved by the few stories of a couple students already and it's only the BEGINNING of the book. This book is going to be an eye opener for me. You never understand or realize what is going on in other places in the world until you find out the details behind the appearances. Now, in America, most people don't think the world is dangerous any more. The mistakes of the country are in the past like slavery and woman rights. But even now the people in the country are ignorant to what is actually going on in more dangerous communities that are like Crenshaw. This book will open the eyes to everyone about the fight that these kids have for their lives. I think this book will be inspiring. It'll help me remember to not take my life for granted. In our community there are so many opportunities for us. Sometimes we pass them up for nothing and move on when we miss them. But the students at Crenshaw can't afford to pass them up. They live for any opportunity that comes their way.

This is what I got from the book review by Mark Welch. I usually don't look at book reviews because everyone's opinion on a book is different. But if a friend recommends the book or a teacher, I would consider it more because they know me more than a stranger on a piece of paper. It would feel more personal and usually my friends like generally the same things and have common interests, so if they thought it was good, more likely I will think so too. The book reviews wouldn’t influence my decision to purchase it much. I would just think that other people don’t know a good book when they read one. But it would make me read the first couple pages before deciding to buy it just because I want to see if the book will be able to hold my attention.

A perfect example of my friends influencing my decision on what to read is Twilight. Sorry to get a little off subject. But I never wanted to read the book because it looked too long and I didn’t know what it was about. But when the twilight explosion happened last year with the movie, my friends were all telling me about the book and how good it was, so that got me hooked into reading that series. I even borrowed my friends worn down Twilight book to start.

5 comments:

  1. I like this Ky! I especially liked that you used the example of The Twilight Saga! I totally understand that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylie,

    I agree that a lot of people are ignorant that hardships are a reality and that people do suffer out there. But I don't think America thinks that the world isn't dangerous anymore. With things like the terrorist attacks or nuclear threats from North Korea, I think America is even more on its toes because such things are beyond our power. Life is so fragile!

    But I agree that this book will be inspiring. I think I wrote something in my own essay that this book will help me appreciate my own life, like how you won't take yours for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love your pink blog :)
    But yes you are right that the book is an eye opener. It is easy for most Americans to be unaware of such communities like those in South Central because we don't live in those circumstances. When one lives a good life, it is hard to be fully aware and concerned for the ones living the bad lives.
    I also agree with you about the peer reccommendations because I too, prefer it just because you know you and your peers have similar tastes.

    Ha, and I also agree with you on Twilight. I would have never picked that book up myself, but my friends kept telling me about it and thats when I started reading them. And needless to say, I liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie!
    Haha, I like what Grace said. I was going to comment on your pink blog too! :) But I also liked your response. I am with on on what you said about considering a friend's reccommendation more than one on a piece of paper! I also like how you mentioned the eye-opener effect that the book has on people. Many people are oblivious to the hardships that other kids our age go through because they are so invovled in their own lives. I also agree with your statement that even though America has overcome many problems such as slavery and women's rights, many people aren't aware of the dire problems that still exist today.
    In general, I liked the way you linked things in the book to the bigger picture. :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ky i loved your response :) especially the part where you said you never really know what goes on outside in the world until you look past the appearances! That is just beautiful wording. You make me feel like mine is crap compared to this! haha.

    And I agree with you on the book review thing, I would not read one either, and like you I would definetly read it more so if my friend or teacher reccomended it, because I know them, and like you said they are not strangers, I was thinking the same thing for my essay but I didn't know how to quite word that.

    Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete